If you think of a good cup of coffee the first thing that comes to mind is the best Keurig coffee maker that will provide you with that push that you need to face a long day at work.
However, a cup of coffee should not only be warm but should also be good, and this is a result of its flavor and method of brewing. Keurig is the number one trusted brand globally and millions of homes use it to make that nice cup one needs to start the day.
Coffee brewing is not a new concept because people have been doing it for centuries, but the coming of the Keurig changed how we make it and also how it tastes. Not only do these machines make it possible to make a single cup as and when you need it, they do it faster than any other machine.
If you are tired of wasting your expensive coffee or drinking something that you made hours ago, then you need a Keurig coffee maker.
Perhaps an in-depth look at the best Keurig coffee maker and what makes them fabulous should convince you why it is necessary to have this machine at home.
1. Keurig K550 2.0
Although it is still a one cup brewer, you can still make enough coffee for a large crowd or family as it offers you ten different brew sizes. Keurig K550 2.0 has an illuminated reservoir that comes with a flip top for easy access, and it hold up to 80 ounces of water, and this is what gives the machine the capability to make coffee for a large crowd.
The 2.8 inches color touch screen is also fabulous, and you can use it to access the strength control feature that lets you choose the brew strength that you want. Other impressive features in the K550 include the nightlight and the vital function that allows you to get hot water on demand.
- It gives you the options to choose from 10 brew sizes and hence making it possible to get a machine that will produce the exact amount of coffee you wish on your cup.
- This brewing system comes with an 80-ounce removable water reservoir. This massive size tank means that you do not have to keep on adding water anytime you need a cup of coffee.
- The K550 is a very modern device that comes with a large color touchscreen display to make its operation easy and convenient.
- Although it has an Auto Brew option, it only works for carafes and will not function with K-cups. For most people this is very inconvenient as they prefer using K-cups.
- Although the manufacturer markets it as a quiet brewer, it is a little bit louder than other brands.
- This machine can only use a particular type of K-cups, and so you will probably not be able to make coffee when you run out of them.
2. Keurig K45 Elite
The Keurig K45 is one of the few brewers on the market that offer you the opportunity to choose from four different colors and so if the color is important to you, then you are likely to get something that is appealing to you. However, it also works fine, and you can be assured of a tasty cup of coffee every morning.
With this machine, you can choose from three different cup sizes, and it allows you to brew a cup in less than a minute. And this is very beneficial since it does not have an auto-start feature that you can use to program it to make coffee at a precise time. With this brewer, you also have the option to use a filter or not depending on your personal preferences.
- The K-cups make it mess-free and also very easy to clean. Although this might look like a small advantage, people with other coffee maker brands know just how hectic they can be to clean.
- This brewer can be used to make coffee and tea in different flavors. To change the flavor, you only need to use a different K-cup.
- It uses the old or original K-cup brewing technology, and so it will also work with non-Keurig K-cups making it a very convenient machine to have at home.
- The massive 48-ounce reservoir is very convenient as you can fill it in the sink. Its design and size make it easy to handle and hence you will not have to go through a hectic time when trying to refill it.
- Keurig 45 Elite comes with a removable drip tray that makes it possible for you to use medium height mugs. The machine also allows you to choose between 6,8 or 10 ounces of beverage, and so you can fill up the cup that you want.
- Although it gives you the option to choose between 6, 8 or 10 ounces, this is still a limited amount of coffee for some people.
- It is UL listed for household use only, and so you cannot use if for hospitality or commercial purposes.
- This machine lacks the auto-start feature, and so you cannot program it to have your drink ready by the time you wake up.
- The K45 will need regular cleaning of its exterior and internal parts if you want it to function correctly.
Also Read: Best Earphones Under 500 Rs.
3. Keurig K130
Some people often regard this machine as the best Keurig coffee maker due to its compact size that makes it possible to keep it in very tight spaces. Keurig K130 is a solid-built brewer, and so you can be sure that you will have it around for many years. And although it uses the more expensive K-cups rather than ground coffee this makes it very easy to clean as it reduces the mess associated with coffee preparation.
It uses less power than most other home brewers, and this means that it will take longer to make a cup of coffee. And so it is more suitable for people who are patient but even with its slow speed you will have your cup ready in less than three minutes. This brewer has a small 8-ounce reservoir that can only hold enough water for one cup.
- It is a very sturdy machine that is also very easy to use and if you have any trouble it has some clearly printed instruction graphics that you can follow.
- The K130 is light and small enough, and so you can take it with you on your travels. Its sturdy design also means that it will not get damaged as you move it from one place to the other.
- Just like most other Keurig brewers it allows you to have different flavors in your coffee by simply changing the K-Cup
- You can use ordinary tapped water as it does not require you to use special water.
- It economizes on electricity as it is designed to use less power.
- It uses less power than standard coffee makers, but this makes it slower than most other Keurig brewers. You have to wait for at least three minutes for your beverage to be ready.
- The reservoir is small and only holds 8 ounces of water which is only enough for a single brew and hence you have to refill each time you want to make a cup of coffee.
- Its setup may confuse some users as it requires an exact sequence but it will be simple once you get the hang of it.
4. Keurig K300 2.0
You can almost never go wrong with a Keurig coffee maker, and if you use the K300 2.0, you will know just how good their machines are. Keurig K300 2.0 comes with a 60-ounce reservoir that will make it possible to prepare a couple of cups before you need to refill it.
The 2.4 inches black and white display screen is also very interactive, and it lets you control the device effortlessly. And just like other 2.0 models from Keurig, it has a strength control that will help you get the taste that you prefer. Apart from this it also has the capability to prepare other beverages such as hot cocoa, chai and mocha.
- The 60-ounce reservoir in the machine will make several cups of coffee before you need to refill it making it a very convenient brewer.
- Has an interactive touch screen that makes it easy for you to operate and program the machine. The touchscreen display also gives this machine a modern and classy look.
- Keurig K300 2.0 comes with K-cup, carafe and K-carafe pods to ensure that you can brew your coffee how you like it.
- This brewer has a strength control feature that lets you choose the concentration of your coffee.
- One of the biggest disadvantages with this and other Keurig brewers is that they only work with K-cups, and this can be inconvenient sometimes if you do not have them.
- Some customers complain that although it has a strong brew setting, it still produces weak coffee or at least not as strong as they would wish.
- It does not have an auto feature, and so if you are the types that like to wake up to the delightful aroma of a freshly brewed cup of coffee, this machine will not work for you.
The Keurig 350 uses the new Keurig 2.0 Brewing Technology to help you make a delightful cup of coffee and other beverages. It is a single cup brewer, but you can also use it to make a carafe for four servings. This brewer allows you to choose from ten brewing sizes, and you can also adjust the strength of your coffee.
The K350 is also a very convenient machine to use because apart from having a large reservoir it can also be filled in the sink. Another notable feature is that you can also program it to brew carafes at a particular time.
- This brewer has an important energy saver mode and an auto shut-off feature that ensures that it will use as less energy as possible.
- The customizable setting makes it possible for you to brew a personalized carafe or cup.
- It is compatible with more than 400 varieties of coffee, tea, iced beverages and specialty drinks. These beverages are from the most recognizable brands in the industry, and you only need to look for the Keurig Brewed seal to know whether you can use them with your K350 brewer.
- With this machine, you can make a 4-cup carafe with a single touch of a button and with the same ease of making a single cup.
- Keurig 350 2.0 has an adjustable strength control that will make it possible to brew bolder coffee.
- Does not work with reusable My K-cup filters or any others from different manufacturers that are used to brew ground coffee.
- The brewer cannot accommodate the height of travel mugs, and so this will be very inconvenient if you want to carry some coffee to work.
- Although you can program your machine to turn on at a particular time, you cannot program it to make a single cup. However, you can program it to make a carafe at a precise time.
- It is UL listed for household use only and not intended for commercial or office use.
The Keurig Platinum Single Server Brewer features four programmable cup sizes and although it has many similarities with other machines from Keurig what sets it apart from the rest is the reduced noise when brewing. This coffee maker allows you to adjust the brew temperature, and it has an amazing blue backlight LCD that lets you monitor the brewer.
You can also program the machine to switch on/off at specific times of the day, and the best thing is that it is ready to make you a cup of coffee three minutes. The other notable things in this machine are its 60-ounce reservoir and removable stainless steel drip tray.
- It features a single touch mode of operation that lets you make your favorite tea or coffee in less than 60 seconds.
- This brewer has a programmable water temperature and automatic on and of feature making it a very convenient machine to use at home.
- Platinum Single Server brewer is as quiet as it can get and in fact, you will probably not hear any sound coming from it when it is making the coffee.
- The removable drip tray allows it to accommodate larger cups or travel mugs making it ideal when you want to take more coffee than what is on the standard size cup.
- The 72-ounce reservoir capacity is sufficient for most people as it eliminates the need to keep on refilling the machine anytime you want to make a cup of coffee or tea.
- The plastic casing makes it very vulnerable to damages in case it falls or when you bump it into other hard things in the kitchen.
- It’s an expensive machine when compared to other brands on the market. However, this is probably because of the high-quality services that it will offer you.
- You must run a cleansing brew through it every time you use it to make cocoa and other milk-based beverages. Although this is a simple thing to do, it will take up some precious time, and so you have to wait before you can have your fresh cup of coffee.
- Some of its removable parts are not dishwasher friendly, and so they will give you a hectic time when cleaning them.
Keurig has been in business long enough to know what customers look for in a brewer. And so just like most of their other machines, the K450 comes with everything that you need including K-cup and K-carafe cups. And so you can start making some nice coffee immediately you take it from the box. The 4 cup capacity allows you to make enough coffee for a small group of people in a single brew, and it has programmable controls and a 2.4 inches color touch screen.
The 70 oz reservoir allows you to make several cups of coffee or tea without having to refill, and it has an auto shut-off feature for added safety. Another thing that will impress most people with this machine is that it remembers the frequently used settings and hence allowing you to make your favorite cup of coffee quickly without having to reprogram the device.
- It comes in three different colors (red, black and white). Although the color does not affect its performance, it still matters a lot to most people.
- Just like most others in the 2.0 edition, it has strength control that lets you personalize how you want your coffee to taste.
- The 2.4 Color Touch Display not only makes it look modern but also comfortable to operate.
- Keurig K450 2.0 allows you to choose from 9 brew sizes that start from as small as 4 oz to a 30 oz cup.
- It has a programmable language option and High Altitude Mode to ensure that you can use it anywhere you wish.
- This brewer does not have a nightlight mode and reservoir light, and this may make it hard to use under poor lighting conditions.
- The K450 is a modern brewer with many features, but it also lacks some essential things that you would expect to find on a machine of its caliber like the hot water on demand feature.
- You cannot use other K-cup brands on the brewer, and so this means that you will not make coffee with the machine if you cannot find those from Keurig.
The ease of use and the convenience that the K250 Brewing System offers you is way much better than a regular coffee maker. Whether you want to make a single serve or a carafe you can do it all with a single touch of a button. This coffee maker features the impressive Keurig 2.0 Brewing Technology that reads the lid of each K-cup to ensure that you get a perfect cup of coffee each time.
It also has a separate setting for other beverages such as mochas, chai and hot cocoa. The machine has a 40 oz reservoir, strength control, and a 2 inches display screen.
- It is a beautiful brewer that also comes in several colors making it easy for you to find one that is appealing to you.
- This brewer is lightweight and compact, and this makes it not only easy to fit in tight kitchen spaces but also convenient to move from one place to the other.
- Keurig K250 2.0 is a fast brewing system since it can make a single serve in less than one minute and a carafe in about three minutes.
- The removable drip tray makes it possible for the brewer to accommodate different cup sizes and hence it is a suitable machine to use when you want to make some takeaway coffee.
- The pods are costly and so making coffee with this machine is expensive when compared to others in the market. And the worst thing is that it only works with a particular brand of pods.
- Refilling the water can be hectic especially given the fact that you cannot refill it in the sink. However, the reservoir is large enough to make several cups in a row and so you do not have to keep on refilling.
- Although it might not be the loudest, it is still quite noisy especially if you compare it to modern brewers that are super silent.
Keurig K40 Elite Brewing System has simplicity as one of its principal features. With this machine, you only need to place the K-cups in the holder and close the lid, and there are no filters to worry about when making coffee. Its 48 oz reservoir and drip tray are removable for easy refilling and cleaning.
You should also not worry if you forget to switch off before leaving the house since it has an auto shut off feature that will do it for you after two hours. This 1500 watt brewer also has a descale indicator that will let you know when it needs descaling.
- The brew speed is impressive as it takes less than a minute to make a perfect cup of coffee. However, what is even more impressive is that it is ready to brew in just one minute.
- Keurig K40 Elite gives you the freedom to choose from Starbuck pods, K-cups, reusable k-cup filters or even coffee and filters from several other manufacturers.
- If you like powerful Brewers, then the 1500 watt in this machine will impress you. All this power makes it a very reliable brewing system.
- It allows you to choose from three different cup sizes, and the removable drip tray also makes it possible for the brewer to accommodate travel mugs.
- If you want a stronger cup of coffee, you will need extra bold K-cups as there is no other way to increase the strength when using this system.
- Another disadvantage that is also common with most Keurig systems is that the K-cups are very expensive. Making a cup of coffee with this brewer is by far more costly than using typical coffee makers.
The most remarkable thing and perhaps also what gives the K10 Mini Plus an edge is its ease of use since anybody can use it to make a cup of coffee regardless of whether they have an experience with brewers or not. This single serve machine has a small reservoir that holds enough water for one cup that can be 6, 8 or 10 ounces.
It is a very easy system to use that also has some LED lights that indicate the step of the setup and brew cycle that the machine is on. K10 Mini Plus comes in a compact and portable size that makes it perfect for small spaces such as offices, dorms and RVs and it also available in several lovely colors.
- Although it is not a perfect machine, it is very reasonably priced. With a price tag of less than $100 this brewer is very affordable for most people.
- Comes in several color options, and this makes it perfect for individuals who value the look of their coffee maker.
- Just like with most other Keurig systems it guarantees you consistent performance. As long as you keep the machine in good shape you can be assured of a high-quality brew even as it grows old.
- Using it couldn’t get simpler as you only need to turn it on, insert a K-cup and then press the big brew button. In approximately 1 minute and 45 seconds, your fresh cup of coffee will be ready.
- It takes more than two minutes to make a single cup and although this might sound faster than the standard brewers it is slower than other Keurig brewing systems.
- The manufacturer had to recall the machine recently, and this just shows that there was something very wrong with it to warrant this action.
- Its water reservoir is its biggest disadvantage since it holds water that is only enough to make a single cup of coffee. You cannot also see the level of water left in the reservoir or detach it to refill on the sink.
What Makes Keurig Coffee Makers Special
Keurig machines have changed how people brew coffee at home, and this is one of the things that makes it special. These modern machines give people the freedom to make the amount of coffee that they want and when they need it and hence reducing wastages. With this machine at home, you no longer have to drink that coffee that you made hours ago as you can fix a fresh cup in a minute or less. Apart from this, it will also not limit you to a single flavor like other machines that require you to buy a pound of coffee.
The K-cup brewing system and coffee pods give you the opportunity to drink a different flavor every day, and it is also cheaper since you do not have to buy a pound of coffee or more for your machine. However, these machines are not just about coffee, and this is another thing that makes them unique. You can use them to make flavorful hot and iced tea, soothing hot chocolate and many other beverages.
In addition to the flavor and other advantages that these machines offer you, they have also been designed to make clean-up easy for you. The K-cups are elegant and tidy, and so you will not need to spend much time cleaning your machine as you only need a couple of minutes to make it spotlessly clean. Another thing that may not be so obvious but still makes these coffee makers fantastic is the long-term cost of coffee and the ecological impact of the machine.
The manufacturer solves the two issues with a reusable K-Cup filter. This uniquely designed filter also allows you to brew any standard ground coffee on most Keurig machines meaning that it will be a long time before you need to dispose of it and hence minimizing the environmental impact of your coffee maker.
Categories of the Keurig Coffee Makers
The Keurig brand has been around for less than two decades, but it has revolutionized how people make coffee both at home and commercially. Although they have been in business for a shorter time than most other companies, they now have more products than the older companies. However, all their coffee makers can be classified into the following broad categories.
- K-Cup: The K-cups are the original brewing machines from Keurig and were introduced in 1998 when the company started its operations. Since their inception, they have become convenient and versatile brewing machines that come in different colors and various applications such as office, home, and commercial use. Apart from coffee, they can also be used to brew spiced cider, tea, cocoa and iced beverages. All of them feature a one-touch operation, and they have the convenient auto shut-off ability. Their other features include multilingual on-screen instruction and the Quite Brew technology. Most other features may vary from one machine to the other.
- Vue: Vue represents the second generation of Keurig brewing systems, and it came into the market in 2012. Just like its predecessors, it includes machines for use at home, office and for commercial purposes. However, the Vue systems do not offer brewers for use in a hospitality setting. Some of the things that make this category different from the K-cups are that they include user adjustable beverage temperature, sizes, and tastes. Some of the outstanding features of Vue machines include a removable water reservoir for easy cleaning and it also has an increased storage capacity for water. Other features include removable drip tray, programmable functions and an LCD touch screen that gives it a modern control.
- Rivo: The Rivo line of coffee makers also came out in 2012, and it is designed to brew espresso-style coffee using similar technology as other Keurig machines. It can serve hot or cold drinks and also includes an attachment for milk and non-dairy liquid frothing. This brewer is not compatible with Vue and K-cup products, and it requires the use of Rivo disposable cups. Its main features are a disposable drip tray, five operation buttons, and dishwasher safe parts. What makes the Rivo special is its speed as it can make an espresso drink in under a minute, and it is also very easy to clean. Although it does not have as many accessories as the other Keurig brewers since it has not been around for long the caramel, vanilla and chocolate flavor syrups will be enough for most people.
How to Choose a Keurig Coffee Maker
There are many Keurig brewing systems under the above three categories, but each one of them is different from the other in one or a couple of ways. Although they all make excellent coffee, you still need to choose one that will work best for you whether you intend to use it commercially or at home. For this to be possible, there are several things that you have to consider but by looking at the following essential features then it will be easier for you to make a decision on what to buy.
#1 UL Listing
UL listing is something that most people tend to overlook when shopping for a coffee maker, but it is vital as it determines where you can use the machine. Most Keurig brewers have a UL listing for use at home, and so if you intend to use yours for commercial or hospitality, you should make sure that it has the correct listing. It is important to acquaint yourself with UL listing before buying your single cup device as it will help you choose the right one for your intended application.
#2 Machine Size
Although the size of the machine also determines other things such as the performance and storage capacity, it is also important to choose one according to space availability in your kitchen. Keurig tries to make their brewers as compact as possible, but they still come in different sizes, and so it is important to consider this feature when shopping for one.
#3 Cup Size Options
One of the main selling points for Keurig brewers is that they allow you to make a single cup size. However, this is not the only option as there are others that can make larger cup sizes that are up to 12 ounces and hence meaning that you can have enough coffee for more than one person. It is important to note that the larger the cup size, the more the water and hence the milder the brew. And hence, you should consider how concentrated you want your cup before choosing what to buy.
#4 Walter Filtering
Tapped water in most places is not the cleanest. Apart from this, it is treated with different chemicals to purify it. Although these chemicals make it safe for human consumption, they also give it some odd tastes. A Keurig machine with a filter will help you eliminate some of the foreign tastes and smells of the water and hence making your beverage taste much better.
If you want your hot coffee to be ready when you wake up, then a programmable model will be the best for you. Although a programmable machine exposes the coffee to too much oxygen and hence changing its taste, this is a compromise you have to make if you want the convenience of waking up to a ready cup of tea/coffee. This feature is very common with modern Keurig brewers, but there are still some without it.
#6 Quiet Brew Technology
Although some people love the sound of coffee makers, for most people this is a nuisance. However, you should not worry about since most devices from Keurig use the Quiet Brew Technology, and so they are very silent. However, the OfficePro and K10 Mini Plus do not have this technology, and so they are louder than the others.
#7 Drip Tray
A drip tray is one of the best innovations that you can ever wish for in a coffee maker. A drip tray helps to minimize the mess caused by spills and also makes cleaning easy. Apart from this turning or removing the tray will allow you to brew into taller cups if you wish to have a bigger cup of coffee than the standard one. Although it does not affect the performance of the machine a drip tray is a very convenient feature in a brewer.
#8 Brewing Times
Most Keurig brewers will make coffee in less than one minute since they have a hot water reserve. However, some like the Mini Plus do not have the water reserve and hence will take between two and three minutes to make the coffee. Although this is still faster than most other brands in the market, you still have to consider whether you want to go through the process of adding water every time you need a cup of coffee.
There are still many other things that you should consider when choosing the best brewer, but the above eight are the main ones. The other important things that you should consider can include things such as your budget since you cannot buy something that you cannot afford. Considering customer reviews and ratings is also important as it lets you know what other people who use the machine have to say about it.
It is hard to think of any Keurig brewing system that has not recorded impressive sales. In almost two decades the company has not produced a product that has not been a success, and this makes it difficult to determine the best of their many brewers. However, of the above ten machines the K45 Elite Brewing System, K350 2.0 and K10 Mini Plus have an edge over the others.
The K45 has the highest ratings, and it has also sold more units on Amazon than any other Keurig brewer. Most customer reviews also favor the K45 because it uses the old k-cup brewing technology and so it will work with non-Keurig K-cups.
The K10 Mini may not have fancy features like other brewers, but coffee lovers prefer it due to the lightweight and compact size that makes its perfect for tight spaces such as in the office and RVs.
K350 2.0 also has impressive sales and positive reviews mostly due to its Keurig 2.0 Brewing Technology. The K350 is also very easy to use, and you do not need manual instructions and it also does not have the conventional coffee maker problems.